There was an error in this gadget

Thursday, November 1, 2007

My Bible Reading

A couple weeks ago I finished reading The Bible. It's taken a long time. I didn't read it straight through, cover to cover, from Genesis to Revelation. I had long ago read Job. I read Leviticus as part of a Sunday School class. I tried to read one Psalm per day, in addition to other readings, and mostly alternated between New Testament and Old. I'd finish an NT book, then read the next OT book, and so on. I also didn't read the Proverbs all in a row. I enjoyed reading one chapter on occasion and then reading the next at some later date. I used a 3 by 5 card as one of my bookmarks and listed which OT book and which NT book was next in my queue, along with which Psalm was next on the list and which chapter of Proverbs.

When you do it that way you end up with all the minor prophets of the OT left over and you have to read those all straight through if you want to finish completely before you re-start the New Testament. The 3 x 5 card is almost completely filled in.

So now I've started over. I finished Genesis again, am at about 15 Psalm, and have re-read the first three chapters of the Gospel of Matthew.

2 comments:

Glenn said...

I was so inspired by your post that I printed out one of those Bible-reading programs and have started following it. I don't know if I'll stick with it for the full year, but I've been wanting to read the entire Bible for a while, and this seems like a way to do it.

The program I have includes a passage from the Old Testament, a passage from a New Testament book, a bit from Psalms, and a bit for Proverbs for each day.

Since the program is set up to run from my birthday through December 31, and I started it on November 1, I had a choice to make. I decided to start with their readings for November 1 and go from there. So I've been reading in Ezekiel and Hebrews. Oddly enough, the first passages in each were about the Hebrew people rebelling against the word of the Lord.

Agim Zabeli said...

Glenn:

You write: "Oddly enough, the first passages in each were about the Hebrew people rebelling against the word of the Lord."

Yeah, that get's mentioned a lot. Kind of makes the Hebrews a lot like the rest of us.

I read somewhere that if one reads three chapters each day, and five on Sunday, one has no trouble finishing in a year. Because I'm always skipping days I try to read a bit extra - the one Psalm I read per day, over and above my minimum three chapters in one of the other books, is my 33% safety margin to stay on track.