There was an error in this gadget

Friday, January 1, 2010

Proverbs 27:18

He who tends a fig tree will eat its fruit,
and he who looks after his master will be honored.
I've been unemployed for a while and it's given me time to think, often too much time. One good thing is I am spending more time reading the Bible ( Speaking of "clinging to God and guns" I need to renew my concealed carry permit this month). Part of my routine is reading one chapter a day from the Book of Proverbs. Every Sunday I select a memory verse from that day's chapter. 27:18 is the verse I picked last Sunday.

The verse hits me because half of it is so intuitively obvious ("He who tends a fig tree will eat its fruit...") while the second half is much less so in our current age ("...and he who looks after his master will be honored.") We don't think in terms of having masters these days but when one considers the matter the guy who said everybody has to serve somebody was right on target. The only question is who or what do we each pick for our master: career? company? family? God? money?

We all serve something. We should choose wisely and serve well.

No comments: