There was an error in this gadget

Monday, May 7, 2012

BBC's Sherlock

NO SPOILERS

Last night my daughter and I finally got to watch episode 1 of the second season of BBC's Sherlock.  We were excited because we enjoyed the first season so much.  We were disappointed.

The first season was a lot of fun and I'm a tough grader.  I consider myself a Sherlock Holmes purist.  My counsel to anyone writing a new treatment of Sherlock Holmes would be:  Arthur Conan Doyle was a lot better at this than you are or ever will be.  Treat the material with respect.  In the first season the BBC writers managed to charm me.  The stories were witty.  They managed to create a Holmes and Watson that were true to the originals but at the same time were also true twenty-first century men.  They succeeded.  They managed to sell Sherlock Holmes in modern London.

This first episode in the new season on the other hand was just plain limp.  Too cute by half; forced and obvious sexual allusions; outlandish crime solutions.  If the writers for the first season are the same guys that wrote last night's episode, they have run out of gas.

1 comment:

buddy2blogger said...

Always a great pleasure to meet a Sherlockian!

I too am a purist and did not like the second season much. In particular, 'A Scandal in Belgravia' was too uncanonical.

Have you seen the Russian adaptation with Vasily Livanov as Holmes. It is one of the most elegant and faithful adaptations of the canon.

Cheers!