There was an error in this gadget

Monday, May 7, 2012

King of the Khyber Rifles

Just posted a review at Amazon for King of the Khyber Rifles, a free Kindle book I finished last night.  I'm still going through my British Empire phase of easy adventure reading.  It's mostly India stuff, but some Sudan stories by Arthur Conan Doyle as well.

It's probably not hard to figure out I'm a hard sell on the idea that British colonialism was all bad.  It wasn't.  Not even close.  I'm an anglophile from way back (with a brief interlude between 1775 and 1815).  As I once said to some Indian friends in a bar in Hyderabad:  "Eventually everybody's got to grow up and kick the British out, but you're a moron if you don't realize the joint is a better place because they were here."

I said something like that anyway.  I quote from memory and that memory involved a few pints of Sandpiper.  But I remember general agreement from the company.

No comments: