There was an error in this gadget

Monday, April 11, 2016

Can't Fix a Spiritual Crisis With Federal Program

At NRO, David French has an excellent post on the moral collapse of the working class.

The Crisis of America's White Working Class Is More Spiritual than Material:
This is a textbook illustration of the spiritual and moral crisis – the loss of core values – that has slowly poisoned American culture over the decades. Marriages take work. Restless spirits have to be tempered with self-control. To declare these obvious truths isn’t cruel. Indeed, to relieve people of responsibility for their actions is to treat them like children. It’s the “soft bigotry of low expectations.” 
I remember a little over a decade ago (has it been that long?) when my wife and I finally started going to church.  The pastors just then were making a lot of announcements about an upcoming “Mission to Maine” the church was undertaking.  Witty fellow that I felt myself to be, I asked one of the pastors “Lot of heathen up in Maine?”

And he started to explain to me how family structures had fallen apart in rural Maine.  Unwed mothers.  Drugs.  Alcohol.  People on welfare, or trying to get onto disability.  And it occurred to me, there was a lot of that going on around us in rural Pennsylvania, too.

This has been going on a while.  It is everywhere.  And it is a spiritual crisis.

No comments: